The next time you decide to buy pistachios you would be surprised to hear that this favourite snack for millions across the globe was just as popular 8000 years back. A native of Iran and Afghanistan, pistachios have embedded themselves to be a part of human history and culinary practices for ages and have now become an indispensable part of human life. The importance of these humble nuts seems to have found their place in ancient literature as well, with the likes of Pliny the Elder mentioning it in their works.
Characteristics of the tree that it is obtained from
Pistachio trees can be giant in size with bigger ones towering up to 33 feet in height. The tree belongs to the family of deciduous ones having leaves ranging in size from 10 to 20 centimetres. The pistachio that is consumed is a part of the fleshy, cream-colored fruit that is often used for a variety of culinary purposes. This is also known as a drupe. The seed has a light mauve-coloured skin with a green outer covering. On an annual basis, pistachio trees can yield up to 50 kgs of seeds.
10 fun facts to know about pistachios
- They are extremely rich in a gamut of good nutrients for your body. According to research, pistachios contain more than 30 different types of vitamins and minerals in them.
- If you are looking for a vegan protein option then pistachios definitely are a choice. They contain the amount of protein as that of an egg.
- The Chinese often consider them to be embodiments of happiness since they look like they are smiling.
- Pistachios have also been traced back to fighting the risk of heart disease and lowering cholesterol levels within the body.
- The second-largest cultivator of these today would be the USA. They are most commonly grown in and around California.
- Pistachios were introduced in Rome almost as far back as 1st A.D. They were popularly only served to the famous and wealthy.
- Pistachios are closely related to the mango and sumac group of plant families and share many similar characteristics.
- The Queen of Sheba was deemed to be extremely fond of pistachios, so much so that she demanded entire harvests be set aside for her.
- The pistachios are one of the oldest flowering trees that have been cultivated by humans since prehistoric times.
- Pistachio is only one of the two nuts mentioned as food sources in the Bible.
Are you wondering where you can purchase pistachios in the modern age and time at affordable prices? Then fret no further. Many websites on the internet now provide buyers with the option of purchasing pistachio online. All that one needs to do is log onto these websites, select the portion they are looking for, add their shipping and payment details and it will be delivered to their homes in a few days. Let pistachios herald in the new way of staying healthy for you and your family.